Friday 12 November 2010

Test Footage and More Research


I have done some test footage over the past few weeks and have been pleased with what it has taught me. I will upload the videos as soon as I can. I recreated the tilt shift effect that I saw in the film 'The Social Network' I used After Effects to do it and I think it came out ok but I am not too sure if it is the effect that I want, maybe I should try it with a few different shots and give it a little more blur.

The second clip I will upload is a shot that I got in Cheltenham, it was a really nice sunny day and I got some good shots. It’s amazing how much light can change your images, so I am keen to find a sunny afternoon to shoot on again! I liked the movement that I used and I was thinking of this in terms of an establishing shot that introduces a character. The movement is not as smooth as I would like though, I would repeat a similar movement with a jib. Also I would say that the shot is overexposed, it looks nice and bright but there is a lot of detail missing in parts of the image. I have found with the camera I was using (550d) it is better to underexpose a little because it looks a lot brighter on a bigger screen. I want to keep getting shots and I will see how grading can improve my images.

I will randomly update you on some of the films I watch, for instance I watched '17 Again' last night! Throughout most of the film there were almost no high contrast shots, with is good because that really fit with the story they were telling. In the beginning though there was a dark silhouette and this was a very memorable shot, I think that it is dark for a good reason, the film loops back round to that moment and it is the shot that makes the film, for me anyway. I also love how they make his girlfriend in the opening scene glow and really standout and look pretty, the lighting they use is very soft.

I will keep blogging, Chow!

No comments:

Post a Comment